Single cell of a {3,7,3}


Single cell of a {3,7,3}


Now that I'm set up to render 2-dimensional faces of a honeycomb in my 3D prints, here's another. I'm really loving the translucency of the thin walls. In proper lighting, edges in this model have enough extra thickness to stand out in darkened contrast, which looks especially cool. Check that out in the second picture below.

This self-dual honeycomb has been in my feed before because Henry Segerman and I did an art piece based on it for Bridges a few years back. We called it "Hyperbolic Catacombs" and you can read a little more about the honeycomb at its gallery page.

http://gallery.bridgesmathart.org/exhibitions/2015-bridges-conference/roice3

Because I included only one cell, this model is less than a third the price of the {7,3,3} model I posted recently. You can order it from Shapeways at the following link (again, with no markup), and there is even still time to get it for Christmas!

http://shpws.me/Pg8e

Teaser: I'm about to order my next model, which is something different. Not a honeycomb, but a particular surface in hyperbolic space.



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hyperbolic Hopf Fibrations