My brother shared this short illustrated book with me a few years ago and it's gold.

My brother shared this short illustrated book with me a few years ago and it's gold. The world would be a better place if we all read and internalized it.

I also like to visit the wikipedia page listing logical fallacies for a reasoning checkup every now and then. It has grown a bit unwieldy though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fallacies

Fighting the mother of all biases is a constant battle, making it difficult to avoid succumbing to logical failures, but the effort is worth it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

Originally shared by Sean Walker

Bad Arguments

I got my son the book Bad Arguments recently. He quite enjoyed it and immediately thereafter started helpfully categorizing my perspectives on subjects we discussed in terms of them. =D

In the book, Ali Almossawi categorizes and describes bad logical arguments. Which both helps kids (and adults!) identify when others are stumbling in their logic, but also disciplines their own thinking processes by helping them to understand when they themselves are going astray. The applications of effective basic reasoning of this sort apply very broadly academically. Obviously in science, math and technical subjects, but also for reasoning and essay writing in humanities subjects.

Although some of the text of the book would be difficult for younger children, I think the illustrations will help to keep things entertaining for them while the parents read and interpret it for them. So my rough sense is kids ages 8 and older would enjoy and benefit by it.

The book is available online free virtually, or in hardcover.

https://bookofbadarguments.com/

Comments

  1. Here's a post with a link to a programme on the history of rhetoric: https://goo.gl/r62aXc

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, Ali Almossawi is on G+ and he also made a book on algorithms: https://goo.gl/IFRwSr

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Kevin Clift, for the second time in 24 hours :)

    I'm now following Ali Almossawi and I hope others will too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of the tricky things with G+ is finding the right person when one is not already following them as the suggestions in autocomplete are affected by whom one interacts with.  Unless you meant this one in the comment it might be better to double check at the name I provided.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oops! Fixing!! Thank you for the third time Kevin Clift.

    Ali Almossawi

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hyperbolic Hopf Fibrations