William Stein discusses open-source mathematical software in academia. I liked this quote:

William Stein discusses open-source mathematical software in academia.  I liked this quote:

We as a community overall would be better off if, when considering how we build departments, we put "mathematical software writers" on an equal footing with "algebraic geometers". We should systematically consider quality open source software contributions on a potentially equal footing with publications in journals.

I have some limited personal experience with this, in that I have done job market searching in areas related to academia, e.g. trying to answer whether it would be possible to get a job as a software developer for an astronomy facility.  (In my case, it was far from possible because I don't have a PhD.  That seems a must, weighted near infinitely higher than longtime software experience, industry or opensource.)

In any case, it's good to see William so devoted to his mission to "create a viable open source alternative to Mathematica".

Originally shared by William Stein

"If you were a new faculty member again, would you start something like SageMathCloud sooner or simply leave for industry?"
I was recently asked by a young academic: "If you were a new faculty member again, would you start something like SageMathCloud sooner or simply leave for industry?" The academic goes on to say "I am increasingly frustrated by continual evidence that it is...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hyperbolic Hopf Fibrations