Check out this extremely cool art project shared with me by my brother Robert Nelson.

Check out this extremely cool art project shared with me by my brother Robert Nelson.  The honeycombs I've been posting are generated similarly.  

It's hard to believe, but 4 mirrors suffice to bring about all the complexity I've been showing (the 4 faces of a tetrahedron).  

For regular honeycombs, you can also use the faces of a cell as generating mirrors.  In this case, the 6 faces of a cube are producing the {4,3,4} Euclidean honeycomb.

I like that this art installation bends some of the mirrors (both outward and inward), bringing us into the worlds of spherical and hyperbolic geometry.   I wonder if that was part of their motivation.

Be sure to watch the video!

http://themindunleashed.org/2014/03/happens-build-cube-one-way-mirrors.html
http://themindunleashed.org/2014/03/happens-build-cube-one-way-mirrors.html

Comments

  1. Update: Fixed a mistake.  Should have been {4,3,4} Euclidean honeycomb, not {3,4,3}, which is the spherical 24-cell.

    I wish fixes like this propagated to reshares.  C'est la vie.  Hopefully no one will notice anyway and the art will draw all the attention :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hyperbolic Hopf Fibrations